Pentagon incensed with AP over photo of dying soldier
By Raw Story
Published: September 4, 2009 Updated 14 hours ago
US Defense Secretary Robert Gates has sharply criticized the US news agency the Associated Press (AP) for distributing a photograph of a mortally wounded Marine in Afghanistan.
Gates, in a letter Thursday to AP president Thomas Curley, described as —appalling?? the news agency??s decision to distribute the graphic picture of Lance Corporal Joshua Bernard to its clients.
Gates noted that the decision to transmit the photo was made —over the objection of Lance Corporal Bernard??s grieving father?? and he asked the AP —in the strongest of terms to reconsider.??
To see the photo in question, which does not explicitly show the soldier??s wounds, click here.
—Why your organization would purposefully defy the family??s wishes knowing full well that it will lead to yet more anguish is beyond me,?? the Pentagon chief wrote.
—Your lack of compassion and common sense in choosing to put this image of their maimed and stricken child on the front page of multiple American newspapers is appalling,?? Gates said.
—The issue here is not law, policy or constitutional right — but judgment and common decency.??
The AP issued a statement defending its decision to distribute the picture, which was taken on August 14 by an AP photographer, Julie Jacobson, who was embedded with Bernard??s unit in Helmand province in southern Afghanistan.
The picture shows fellow Marines helping the 21-year-old Bernard, who suffered severe leg injuries when he was struck by a rocket-propelled grenade in a Taliban ambush. He died shortly afterwards on an operating table.
—We believe this image is part of the history of this war,?? said AP senior managing editor John Daniszewski. —The story and photos are in themselves a respectful treatment and recognition of sacrifice.??
The news agency said the decision to release the photo —followed long deliberations within AP about whether to do so.??
—Ultimately, in this case, AP decided that, in the context of the full report, it was important to show readers and viewers the images,?? it said.
Santiago Lyon, the director of photography for AP, was quoted as saying —we feel it is our journalistic duty to show the reality of the war there, however unpleasant and brutal that sometimes is.??
Bernard??s death shows —his sacrifice for his country,?? he added.
The AP said it —believes that the stories and photos report on Bernard and his last hours respectfully and conform with military regulations surrounding journalists embedded with US forces.??
Gates, in his letter, said he has been —long committed to more transparency with regard to media access?? and noted that earlier this year he lifted a ban on pictures of the coffins of US servicemen returning to the United States.
He said publication of the picture, however, —will mark an unconscionable departure from the restraint that most journalists and publications have shown covering the military since September 11.??
Pictures of US servicemembers wounded or slain in Iraq or Afghanistan have only rarely appeared in US newspapers, a departure from previous conflicts when some of the most iconic images were of wounded or dead US troops.
dxpnet has been online since 1997, powered by real conversations and a passionate astrology community.
If this page helped you, you can support the site below.
By Raw Story
Published: September 4, 2009
Updated 14 hours ago
US Defense Secretary Robert Gates has sharply criticized the US news agency the Associated Press (AP) for distributing a photograph of a mortally wounded Marine in Afghanistan.
Gates, in a letter Thursday to AP president Thomas Curley, described as —appalling?? the news agency??s decision to distribute the graphic picture of Lance Corporal Joshua Bernard to its clients.
Gates noted that the decision to transmit the photo was made —over the objection of Lance Corporal Bernard??s grieving father?? and he asked the AP —in the strongest of terms to reconsider.??
To see the photo in question, which does not explicitly show the soldier??s wounds, click here.
—Why your organization would purposefully defy the family??s wishes knowing full well that it will lead to yet more anguish is beyond me,?? the Pentagon chief wrote.
—Your lack of compassion and common sense in choosing to put this image of their maimed and stricken child on the front page of multiple American newspapers is appalling,?? Gates said.
—The issue here is not law, policy or constitutional right — but judgment and common decency.??
The AP issued a statement defending its decision to distribute the picture, which was taken on August 14 by an AP photographer, Julie Jacobson, who was embedded with Bernard??s unit in Helmand province in southern Afghanistan.
The picture shows fellow Marines helping the 21-year-old Bernard, who suffered severe leg injuries when he was struck by a rocket-propelled grenade in a Taliban ambush. He died shortly afterwards on an operating table.
—We believe this image is part of the history of this war,?? said AP senior managing editor John Daniszewski. —The story and photos are in themselves a respectful treatment and recognition of sacrifice.??
The news agency said the decision to release the photo —followed long deliberations within AP about whether to do so.??